In an attempt to bolster the library’s services for teens, I have begun to hold monthly programs exclusively for those in grades 6 through 12. Examples of programs are as follows:
- Hunger Games Party- Teens had to survive in the arena for Hunger Games-style snacks, crafts, and challenges.
- Cupcake Wars- Teens each got 3 unfrosted cupcakes, a mound of white frosting, and their choice of 3 toppings to create a book-themed cupcake in 30 minutes. Library staff chose three winners. Teens were able to eat their masterpieces at the end.
- Minute to Win It Party- Teens competed in a series of minute-long challenges. Results were hilarious.
- Anime/Manga Club- Manga-loving teens came together to discuss manga, eat snacks, make crafts, and watch manga at this recurring summer program.
- Inflation 101: Balloon Sculpting Workshop- Local business taught teens how to make balloon animals and other sculptures.
- Recycled Runway- Local business taught teens how to alter an old t-shirt to make something new and fabulous.
- Teen Crafternoons- Summer program featuring a new craft each week including duct tape, glove monsters, and yarn creatures.
- Yu-Gi-Oh Party- Local resident led Yu-Gi-Oh card tournament.
- Books & Bites- An un-book club with snacks. Teens were asked to share books they’d read and enjoyed. I booktalked some of my favorites, too.
- Teen Murder Mystery- A live-action version of the board game Clue.